1}  I would like to start out with a short narrative, which I wrote as an afterthought of a series depicting fictive landscapes made via 3D rendering:

Sky and sunlight was being absorbed by everything other than those alive. Flowers remained white, ran out of chlorophyll and other pigments to feed off of. Plastic gave flowers life, and they gave life to their cyber babies via duplication and digital faults; as a miracle of the mother~virtual.


    This series of landscapes consists of artificial looking flowers, and various kind of plastics as their materials give them a tactile sense. Their self-sufficient system of pollination is represented via digital replication. In this cryptic narrative, plants reproduce by their hermaphrodite organs which consists of a phallic unit and multiple ovule capsules attached at the tip. Recently, while I was attempting to run an object file of a single plant, the default application was accidentally swapped with another coding software. Not being aware of this mistake, I double clicked to encounter a miracle of the ‘mother-virtual’. The glitched nature of my laptops system, blessed the reproductive ovule capsules by blooming them into large flower forms. 


    Further, with an entirely different set of actions, I aimed to mimic similar flower forms out of ceramics however many of them didn’t survive the process of drying and firing due to their delicate material properties. During my process of these experiments I came to realizations regarding how the very nature of materials interrelate to notions I’m looking into such as; fragile nature of ceramics and phallic units, elasticity of the skin and the maternal, foam or sponge combined with spiky objects to induce distance and privacy.


    These set of coincidences and afterthoughts moved me towards thinking about the maternal, intimacy and further to privacy and isolation. Moreover, this led me to start working with materials used in architectural isolation as well as round objects such as belly or ceiling lamps. Regarding my material experimentations, I observe a connection between bacteria growth in bioplastics and their process of decay with notions of anti-aging, caring and curing integrating into everyday life of people. 


    If all the organic/artificial forms I generated were to come into view in the same physical space, that place itself might function as a complete invasive goddess.







Comments